So, you are purchasing a piece of land to build your dream home or second home to enjoy weekends and vacations and now you need a good builder… how do you select one? Prudential verani New Homes Division is often asked what steps to take in finding the right builder and here are some of the recommendations on doing your homework with these top ten questions.
- Check with the state builders association affiliated with NAHB – are they a member of this organization demonstrating a higher level of professionalism?
- Look them up on better business bureau at www.bbb.com
- Check with the building departments in which the company operates and what kind of reputation they have
- Ask for past customers you can speak to. Would they build again with the company?
- Google the builder or company’s name… what do you find?
- How does the builder operate? Are they hands on or will you be working with others in their company?
- Do you feel comfortable? How will they communicate with you?
- How long have they been in business? Are they new or have they seen different markets and adapted.
- Who are their vendors and subcontractors? Do they have a good reputation and will stand by their work?
- Does the builder pay them on time? This might be an indicator of whether the builder will be on schedule and avoid unnecessary delays
For the biggest investment of your life, it requires research to identify, qualify,compare and match your builder to your needs. Hire slowly as it is a lengthy process and you will be working with this person or company. After careful assessment of some of the answers to the top ten, you will be able to weigh whether the builder is right for you and select carefully.