With so much information available online, home listings a click away on the computer, and being an intelligent human being, why should you hire a real estate agent?
People sometimes think they should save a bit of money and represent themselves. To be honest, some people do okay, but more people don’t. As with anything of value, you get what you pay for, and the sale and purchase of your biggest investment should not be something you gamble with. Look at it this way: If you have a Realtor, you won’t end up with the same results as you would’ve without one. Wouldn’t it be better to have the results you get with their knowledge and experience on your side?
Here are 5 reasons why you might want to consider hiring a professional real estate agent.
- This looks familiar: Education is a great thing to be armed with when trying to market and sell your home as well as making that big home buyer purchase. Experience is next on the list of helpful tools. The Realtor you hire can bring both attributes to any contract negotiation or issue that arises in the process of buying or selling your home. They have seen many contracts, handled many negotiations as well as multiple situations and unexpected delays that can happen during the buying and selling process.
- They are your go-between: As a seller you need someone to weed out the crop of uncertain and unqualified potential buyers as well as market your home to its highest potential. As a buyer your agent can guide you to properties that truly match your needs and wants so you don’t waste precious time wandering to see homes you would never want to purchase. Top agents can negotiate well because of their skills but also because they are not emotionally involved in the transaction. Realtors are not messengers, delivering offers back and forth. They are trained professionals hired to present their client’s offer in the best light and keep client information confidential from competing parties.
- They know the competition well: Whether buying or selling, a Realtor can tell you the average price of homes in the area you are looking to buy as well as advise you as you prepare to sell regarding how the homes in your neighborhood are priced, what they offer or lack compared to your property and how much they have sold for. When you hire an agent you have the inside scoop and that helps you compete as a buyer or a seller.
- Compare and contrast: Realtors provide the research and statistics that help you know how much a home is really worth, how to price it or how much to offer-while still being reasonable. They don’t tell a client what to ask for a home or what to offer, but they do provide the educated advice of a price range the client should consider. It is based on real data and is a realistic amount that the property is worth.
- Dealing with the details: Marketing your home is not as easy as it looks, and an agent has tools of the trade that you and your computer lack. The MLS is where all homes are listed and the network of professionals your Realtor knows is usually fairly large. There is no better way to market a property than to do it professionally.
Paperwork for all the details can be another challenge for anyone representing themselves in real estate. Purchase and sale agreements are long, usually 10 pages or more, and can be confusing. A mistake or an omission could really cost you! Agents do this every day, so having a professional represent you is a smart decision when entering any legal contract.
Buying or selling a home can be a stressful experience for anyone. Having a Realtor handling all the details and negotiations can ease some of the worry and allow you to enjoy the moment of that big sale or purchase.